Utility Bills: Water/Sewer Accounts

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are answers to frequently asked questions about water/sewer service, including how to establish an account when to expect bills, how to pay a bill, and more. 

How do I pay my water/sewer bill?

You can pay your water/sewer bill using one of the following methods: 

  • Pay online through our 3rd party vendor, BS&A. Please review our Online Payment Tutorial if you need help understanding how to look up or pay your bill online. There is no fee for e-check (EFT) payments. Credit card fees are 2.95% with a $1.00 minimum charge. All major credit cards are accepted, including Visa. If you need to make changes to your payment account or view past bills, please log in to your InvoiceCloud account.
  • Pay in person at an open window in the City Clerk's area or at the Utilities window located on the 2nd-floor level of Lebanon City Hall, Monday-Thursday, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. Offices are closed on Fridays. 
  • Drop your payment in the green drop box located outside the City Hall side entrance. Please be sure to place it in a sealed envelope marked "Attention: Utilities Billing Clerk."
  • Mail your payment to Lebanon City Hall, Attn: Utilities Billing Clerk, 51 N. Park St., Lebanon, NH 03766. Please make checks out to the City of Lebanon.

Who can establish a water/sewer account with the City?

Only property owners within the City of Lebanon can establish a water/sewer account. 

What if I am renting?

If it is in your rental agreement to pay utilities, the City requests written correspondence from the homeowner giving permission to bill the tenant. The City will bill the homeowner and send a duplicate copy to the tenant. 

How do you establish a water/sewer account?

After the sale of a property, the closing agent sends the warranty deed to the City's Utilities Department, and the new owners are put onto the account. Names cannot be added to an account until the Utilities Department receives the warranty deed. 

My water was turned off. How do I get it turned back on?

The City ONLY turns water off for nonpayment. Your account needs to be paid in full to get it turned on. 

When will I receive my water/sewer bill? 

The City of Lebanon bills quarterly on the following schedule. 

  • January through March is billed at the beginning of May. 
  • April through June is billed at the beginning of August. 
  • July through September is billed at the beginning of November.
  • October through December is billed at the beginning of February. 

How are water/sewer fees established?

Water/Sewer feeds are set by Lebanon City Council (see City Code §68-15B). On December 2, 2020, City Council approved an increase of 8% in the water service rate and 7.2% in the sewer service rate that took effect on January 1, 2023.

Does the city conduct water/sewer inspections? 

The City does not conduct individual household water/sewer inspections. 

I am selling my house, how do I schedule a final water reading and pay the bill? 

The realtor or law office handling the closing will call the Utilities Department at 603-448-1569 to request a final reading a few days before the closing date. The City will read the meter and prepare a final bill that will be taken out as part of the closing costs. Please do not pay a final bill that is already included in your closing costs. Water will not be shut off. 

I changed my mailing address with the Department of Motor Vehicles, why am I not getting my utility bills?

The Department of Motor Vehicles is separate from the City's Utilities Department. If you need to change your address for utility billing purposes, please call 603-448-1569.

How can I save money on my water bill?

With the removal of the minimum charge on our water/sewer bills, you, as the consumer, have more control over your bill, making it possible to save money through your water conservation efforts. The following are ways you can conserve water both indoors and outdoors.

Residential Water Conservation Strategies

INDOOR: Save 20% to 35%

  • WaterSense labeled fixtures
    • 1.28 gallon/flush toilets
    • 2.0 gallon/minute showerheads
    • 1.5 gallon/minute aerators and faucets in bathrooms and lavatories
  • ENERGY STAR labeled appliances
    • Clothes washers < 20 gal/load 
    • Dishwashers < 7 gal/load  
  • Wash only full loads of laundry and dishes

  • Repair leaky faucets, toilets, showers, hose connections

OUTDOOR: Save 20% to 50%

  • Water your lawn only as needed
    • 1 to 2 days a week (at most)
    • Early morning or evening
  • Plant low water-use native grasses, plants, and trees
  • Limit water-thirsty turfgrass to play and functional areas only
  • Install soil moisture sensors, smart irrigation controllers, rain shutoffs

  • Check and repair promptly
    • Leaks in hose bibs, irrigation lines
    • Broken sprinkler heads
    • Overspray: sidewalks, streets, etc.