Federal Law: Certified Renovator

National Requirements

Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA's) Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP Rule) requires that firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and pre-schools built before 1978 have their firm certified by EPA (or an EPA-authorized state), use certified renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training providers and follow lead-safe work practices.

When working in pre-1978 homes and child-occupied facilities, federal law requires you to:

  • Use Lead-Safe Work Practices
  • Be a "Certified Renovator"
  • Work for a "Certified Renovation Firm"
To become a Certified Renovator," you must take an RRP class from an accredited training provider. To obtain firm certification, you must apply and pay a fee to EPA. For more information about the EPA's Renovation, Repair and Painting Program please contact the National Lead Information Center at 800-424-LEAD (5323) or visit their website.